Sunday, June 12, 2011
Beans, Beans and Beans
* A pound of beans measures about 2 cups dry, 6 cups cooked
(Some varities only double in volume).
* Use 3 cups of water per cup of dry beans for soaking.
* A pound of dry beans makes about 9 servings of baked beans, 12 servings of bean soup.
* A one-pound can of cooked beans measures about 1 2/3 cups
(From"The Michigan Bean Cookbook," published by the Michigan Bean Commission.
SOAKING DRY BEANS
Dry beans, whole peas, and split peas (unless used in soup) need soaking before cooking. Lentils do not.
* Overnight soak: Wash and sort beans; place in large sauce pan with 6 cups of water per pound of beans. Let stand overnight.
* Quick soak: Follow above instructions, but bring beans and water to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
* Cracked bean Quick soak: Two 2 c. of beans that have been coarsley cracked using a hand grain cracker, blender, or small coffee grinder, add 4 cups boiling water. Cover and let stand 5 minutes, rinse (in strainer) and drain.
Whole, soaked beans can be cooked in a variety of ways, or frozen to speed cooking time even futher. Cook soaked beans slowly over low heat to prevent broken or floating skins. A tablespoon of oil or butter added during cooking reduces foaming and boil-overs.
These times are approximate. They differ according to altitude, age, and moisture content of beans, and soaking method. The following list is a fairly complete list of average cooking times for soaked beans:
Black beans - 1 to 1 1/2 hrs
Black-eyed peas - 1 to 1 1/2 hr.
Garbanzo beans - 2 to 2 1/2 hr.
Great Northern Beans - 1 to 1 1/2 hours
Kidney beans - 1 1/2 to 2 hours
Lentils - 30-45 minutes (NO soaking required.)
Limas, baby - 1 to 1 1/2 hours
Pink, pinto and red beans - 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Soybeans - 3 to 3 1/2 hours
Split peas, green and yellow - 35 to 45 min (NO soaking required.)
White beans (navy) small - 1 to 1 1/2 hours
Note: Old beans ground to a flour still cook in only 3 minutes for soups. If using very old beans, make a small amount of soup to test for bitter flavor before using in soups or breads, etc.
To cook lentils, combine 2 c. lentils and 5 c. water in a saucepan. Bring to boiling, reduce heat, cover tightly, and boil gently for 30 minutes. Lentils do not require pre-soaking. Cook sprouted lentils only 5 - 10 min.
COOKING IN A CROCK POT
Place washed and sorted beans in boiling water (enough to cover) and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain off water. Then place beans in crockery cooker and add 6 cups of water per pound of beans and season to taste. Cook on low 12 hours.